With your help we can stop a major increase in catalytic converter theft
2019-11-20 10:20 PST
A catalytic converter is under your vehicle, towards the middle or back of the undercarriage, and attached to the exhaust pipe
On average, there are 4 catalytic converter thefts reported to the Coquitlam RCMP between August and November*. During that same period in 2019, the number of reports is up to 44.
We’re seeing a big jump. It’s most acute between 2018 and 2019 where we’ve seen a 335% increase in reported catalytic converter thefts year-to-date**, says Corporal Michael McLaughlin with Coquitlam RCMP.
Our investigators are working to get those numbers back down to their traditionally low levels, but we need the public to take precautions and be our eyes and ears.
Here are some tips to help catch thieves and avoid being a victim:
- Install good lighting and functional security cameras that you know how to use,
- Park your vehicles in well-lit areas in view of security cameras,
- If possible, use a locked garage or compound to park your vehicles overnight,
- Watch for suspicious electrical tool noises and people under cars- especially late at night or in isolated parking lots,
- Call 911 if you think you see a crime in progress,
- Report all catalytic converter theft (or attempted theft) to the police as soon as possible.
Information from the public is key both for making immediate arrests and building crime activity maps, says Corporal McLaughlin.
Security video can provide important evidence that connects one crime to another. Sometimes the smallest details can link and solve a series of crimes.
If you see a crime in progress, call 911 immediately. To report a crime after the fact, call your police of jurisdiction. To reach the Coquitlam RCMP non-emergency line, call 604-945-1550.
*The three-year average (from 2016-2018) for reported catalytic converter theft from August 1 to November 13 was compared to the same period in 2019.
**Comparing 23 year-to-date reported catalytic converter thefts from January 1 to November 13, 2018, to 100 reported thefts for the same period in 2019.
Cpl. Michael McLaughlinMedia Relations Officer
coquitlam.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (English only)
2986 Guildford Way, Coquitlam, BC V3B 7Y5
- Date modified: